Saturday, June 11, 2005

A World at War

I have been reading a book called "Waking the Dead" by John Eldridge. It is a really good approach to practical living and abundent life. Eldridge takes specific time to remind us of the fact that we live in the midst of a spiritual battle. For anyone looking for a fresh take on day to day Christian living I think that this book is great. It will challenge your preconcieved notions about yourself, your heart, and day to day life. Eldridge talks about begining to see the world differently than we normally do. He says that our hearts (if we are regenerated by faith) are actually good. We still do have to deal with the flesh, but we are no longer have bad hearts but good hearts. As we struggle with sin it is easy to feel like "I'm a bad person" or carry the guilt of our sin even though Jesus has given us a new, pure heart. Eldridge says that guilt and feeling of being a bad person is directly related to spiritual battle. Daily we are bombarded with lies from our enemy telling us that we are bad and should feel guilty. All the while Jesus has forgiven us and presented us with a good, pure heart. Learning to live like we are at war is difficult. Everything that is around us screams that life is not at war it's just hard sometimes. It's not really war...

According to the book of Ephesians chapter 6 we are at war. Why is it so hard to realize that and live and think like we are at war. If I could just remember this fact more often it would bring me much more perspective in my life. As it relates to the daily desire that I have to live the abundent life I know that I live in a world at war. I know that I have an enemy who seeks my life.

7 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger orangejack said...

I read it a few months back. Certainly his best book. I had to skim some as it got long-winded at parts, but it is a book that has helped me come to grips in a much more real way with spiritual battle. It's a topic I've not understood well -- belived, just didn't really "get it". It's still a process.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

waking the dead was actually the first book of john's that i read. it was a fantastic read. i would also recommend his workbook which goes along with it. have you given 'wild at heart' a read? it is fantastic. i've read it over several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. the insight had profound impacts on a personal level for me.

brad

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger brad said...

sorry, previous comment was from me, i forgot to log in:)

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Joe said...

John Piper just wrote something related to what you mention according to JE. I wish I had the link...sorry! It was on his site a few days ago at;
http://www.desiringgod.org

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Oh...Stephen Shields is cool!

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP cartoon that are about sex for free.com

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... divorce advice horse race betting types omega watches 401k contributions and social security taxes how to repair hotpoint clothes dryer Sports illaustrated Playboy bunny navel rings radar detectors Ionamin fastin Budget eyewear accounting continuing education Dora en bets

 

Post a Comment

<< Home